Upgrade to ChromeUpgrade to FirefoxUpgrade to Internet ExplorerUpgrade to Safari
Close

Upload your CV for Job Alerts

Send us your CV.
A Recruitment Consultant will be in touch to discuss your goals in more detail to ensure your job alerts are as relevant as possible.

I accept the terms of the Data Protection Policy and agree for this data to be sent to application@linearesourcing.co.uk and stored until notice is given for it to be removed.

Your details will not be sent to any third parties unless we have your permission.

You can withdraw permission for the use of your personal information at any time. This can be done either by ticking the OPT-OUT or UNSUBSCRIBE link contained in email communications, or alternatively, by sending an email requesting this to unsubscribe@linearesourcing.co.uk

Close

Search for a job

Search through the latest career opportunities from leading employers.

X

Upload your CV for Job Alerts

Send us your CV.
A Recruitment Consultant will be in touch to discuss your goals in more detail to ensure your job alerts are as relevant as possible.

I accept the terms of the Data Protection Policy and agree for this data to be sent to application@linearesourcing.co.uk and stored until notice is given for it to be removed.

Your details will not be sent to any third parties unless we have your permission.

You can withdraw permission for the use of your personal information at any time. This can be done either by ticking the OPT-OUT or UNSUBSCRIBE link contained in email communications, or alternatively, by sending an email requesting this to unsubscribe@linearesourcing.co.uk

X

Post a job

For us to connect you with the best, most talented individuals please complete the form and one of the team will be in touch to discuss your needs in detail.

X

Apply for this vacancy

We will be in touch to discuss the vacancy in more detail.

I accept the terms of the Data Protection Policy and agree for this data to be sent to application@linearesourcing.co.uk and stored until notice is given for it to be removed.
Please tick the box if you would like to receive job alerts relevant to your search

Your details will not be sent to any third parties unless we have your permission.

You can withdraw permission for the use of your personal information at any time. This can be done either by ticking the OPT-OUT or UNSUBSCRIBE link contained in email communications, or alternatively, by sending an email requesting this to unsubscribe@linearesourcing.co.uk

X

Request a call back

Motivation to Move Job?

16th January 2018

For senior personnel, it’s not about the money…

As leading recruiters for the engineering & technology sectors, we keep a close eye on the marketplace. In the first of a series of surveys, we asked 400 senior personnel in our sectors in Wales and the West what would motivate them to seek pastures new and switch companies.

As you can see from the word cloud – which represents the weighting of answers – pay is not a significant factor, coming in at just 13.38%.

Management Culture is What Matters

7.23% cite poor management or bullying, including some specific age and gender bullying. A further 9.09% say they would move for a better company culture. Put together that means that 16.32% of respondents have issues with either culture, management or bullying. Add to that the 13.89% who cite poor career progression as a reason and you are left with a figure of 30.21 % who cite management culture, bullying or poor career progression as a reason they would leave their current position.

Technology Talks

It is no surprise that cultural elements of the workplace and the organisation feature so heavily. Technology such as Facebook, Glassdoor and LinkedIn have opened the door on company culture, giving prospective staff a better glimpse before committing themselves.

As high-level recruiters, the real key to our success is investing time in understanding company culture. It’s about analysing the personalities of the candidate and line manager as well as understanding and interpreting the team dynamics.

For certain vacancies, we invest time work-shadowing a line manager in order to gauge the best “fit” for a candidate in terms of personality and company culture. After such an exercise, the subsequent appointment is far more likely to stay in post and be productive because they fit with the culture and team dynamics.

In Summary

So, our survey indicates company culture & management win out and reveals some negatives, including bullying and poor management style. Of course, we must take these responses in context as they may be subjective. As we know, there are two, if not more sides, to every story.

That said, because of the size of the numbers involved (sample size and proportion of similar replies), the balance of probability is that the findings are representative of the true picture. And if they are, companies who haven’t yet tackled or properly understood the importance of culture will continue to face challenges. But in the spirit of a new year, it also gives those who recognise their gaps in these areas the opportunity to develop a strategy to get to grips with them.

If we can help, please get in touch. Happy New Year.

Our Survey – at a Glance

  1. 7.23% cite poor management or bullying including some specific age and gender bullying
  2. A further 9.09% would move for a better company culture
  3. Points (2) and (3) mean that 16.32% have issues with culture, management or bullying.
  4. 13.89% cite poor career progression as a reason.
  5. 53.03% say they WILL be looking for a new position next year with a further 26.65% saying maybe. 73.48% will use a recruitment consultancy to find one.
  6. Only 13.38 % are motivated to move for an increase in salary.
  7. Brexit resulted in little change in outlook = 71.46%.
  8. Pressures of modern work – work life balance, too much pressure, too many hours, travelling, culture & colleagues = 31.98%.
  9. Career Development = Career progression, greater challenges, career direction = 23.1%.
  10. Economic factors – Uncertain sector / industry, uncertain employer = 16%.

Posted by Mike Gorshkov

Managing Director at Linea Resourcing

Read Biography

Talk to us